“Personal data” means any information which relates to a living, identifiable person. It can include names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, etc. but it is wider than that and includes any other information relating to that
person or a combination of information which, if put together, means that the person can be identified.
“Special category data” means personal data about a person’s race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics (where used for ID purposes), health, sex life or sexual orientation.
“Processing” covers all activities relating to the use of personal data by an organisation, from its collection through to its storage and disposal and everything in between.
“Data subject” means the person whose personal data is being processed.
“Data controller” means the organisation which is responsible for processing data and ensuring that personal data is processed in accordance with data protection law.
3. Governing laws and fundamental principles
a. Lawfulness, transparency, and fairness
b. Purpose limitation
c. Data minimisation
e. Storage limitation
f. Confidentiality and integrity
4. Collecting and processing of personal data
World Aquatics processes personal data in respect of your use of the Site in order to provide you with Services, to communicate with you and to publish and share information related to the Aquatics sports.
The use of certain functionalities of the Site requires that you register with World Aquatics and provide World Aquatics with certain information about yourself, including personal data within the meaning of the GDPR.
The types of personal data World Aquatics may process vary from your use of the Site but may include the following:
|a.||Personal identification information (first name, last name, title, date of birth, passport or ID card details, gender, etc.);|
|b.||Contact data (address, email address, phone number etc.);|
|c.||Financial data (bank account, payment card details, etc.);|
|d.||Transaction data (details about payments and details of products and services purchased);|
|e.||Profile data (username, password, your interests, orders made by you, etc.);|
|f.||Usage data (information about how you use the Site);|
|g.||Technical data (IP address, information related to your browser, operation system and platform, etc.);|
|h.||Marketing and communications data;|
|i.||Cookie and device data.|
By providing World Aquatics with your personal data, you expressly authorize World Aquatics to collect and subsequently process such data.
World Aquatics may implement an automatic tracking process gathering anonymous device and system information to help improve the content of the Site, customize the Site for our visitors and learn more about them and how they
use the Site (see under section 5.).
World Aquatics commits to collecting and processing your personal data always in a transparent, lawful and proportional manner.
World Aquatics uses automatic tracking mechanisms (cookies) to collect certain data while you are browsing the Site. WORLD AQUATICS may also implement third-party cookies including organisations that provide certain Services to World Aquatics such as content, analytics and advertising.
World Aquatics uses first-party and third-party cookies to improve the content of our Services, customise them according to user preferences, and conduct traffic and audience research and marketing activities.
World Aquatics uses different types of cookies, including:
- Essential Cookies enable you to navigate the Site. These cookies are necessary for the Site to function and cannot be switched off in our systems;
- Functional cookies enhance the functionality and persinalisation of the Site by storing your preferences if you do not allow these cookies, then some or all of the services available via that Site may not function properly;
- Performance and Analytics cookies collect certain information that allows World Aquatics to improve the performance of the Site and help us to provide you with what we believe to be the best user experience. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of the Site. If you do not allow these cookies. World Aquatics will not be able to learn more about the use and performance of our Site and your experience will not be as personalised and relevant you;
- Social Media cookies are set by social media providers and include cookies that are set by the social media services that World Aquatics have added to the Site. For example, this includes social media services that enable you to share our content with your friends and networks. They are capable of tracking your browser across websites and building up a profile of your interests to show you relevant content and ads on those social media platforms.
You can disable the cookies by changing your browser settings and/or your device (except those cookies that are strictly necessary).
6. Purposes of the collection and processing of personal data
World Aquatics collects and processes your personal data solely for the following purposes:
a. Participation in the competitions and other activities organized by World Aquatics on the Site;
b. Registration for the use of the Site;
c. Maintenance and development of the Site;
d. Compilation of statistics in order to improve the quality of the Services offered to users.
Your personal data will not be given or shared with third parties for marketing purposes.
Your personal data may be only disclosed for purposes and in situations specifically required by the law.
7. Lawful basis for processing your personal data and your rights
World Aquatics must have a lawful basis for processing your personal data. Such bases are indicated under, being noted that World Aquatics may rely on other justifications.
a. Contractual necessity
Contractual necessity applies for all users who are of age to enter into a contract by accepting the Site Terms and justifies the following use of users' personal information:
- Providing the Services and personalising your experience of the Services by customising certain features based on your interests.
- Managing registration and user account.
- Securing and developing the Services.
- Communicating with you in relation to the Services.
- Sharing data with our partners who may offer you their services.
- Transferring, storing or processing your data outside Switzerland or the European Union (“EU”).
- Providing you with services or information which you have requested.
In these cases, you have the right to port your data.
World Aquatics may also process certain data based on your explicit consent, which you can withdraw at any time, notably to send you certain marketing communications. In this case, you have the right to port your data and withdraw your consent.
c. Legitimate interests
World Aquatics also relies on its legitimate interests, especially for its users who may not be of age to enter into a contract, to provide secure and efficient Services that are consistent with the Site Terms so that visitors, partners and fans may receive high-quality Services and may enjoy Aquatics and Olympic-related content corresponding to their interests. Legitimate interests constitute a basis for the following activities:
- Making available through the Services publicly available information related to Aquatics sports, Olympic Games, Youth Olympic Games, other events, Olympians and other athletes, sports and news stories;
- Providing the Services and personalising your experience of the Services by customising certain features based on your interests;
- Managing registration and user accounts;
- Securing and developing the Services;
- Communicating with you in relation to the Services;
- Transferring, storing or processing your data outside Switzerland or the EU;
- Sending you marketing communications, including via emails, if you have opted-in or can lawfully receive such communications;
- Sharing data with World Aquatics partners who may offer you their services;
- Sharing your information with third parties including law enforcement authorities where World Aquatics suspects unlawful activity.
In these cases, you have the right to object to the processing of your information or ask World Aquatics to restrict such processing.
d. Compliance with legal obligations
World Aquatics may also invoke its legal obligations as a valid ground for sharing your information with judiciary or law enforcement authorities if World Aquatics is ever obliged to do so. In such a case, you have the right to object to the processing of your information or ask World Aquatics to restrict such processing.
8. Data retention
World Aquatics will retain your personal data only as long as necessary for the purposes set forth above. Please note that data may be kept for a longer period of time exclusively for mere statistical purposes and World Aquatics shall use anonymous data wherever possible.
9. Hosting and transfer of your personal data
10. Age limitation
Registration is not open to users under the age of 13. By registering with World Aquatics, you warrant that you are 13 years of age or older. If you are under 18, you must obtain the authorization of your parents or legal guardian before using the Site and registering with World Aquatics. If you are the parent or legal guardian of a minor under the age of 18, and that minor has registered with World Aquatics without your authorization, please contact World Aquatics and World Aquatics will provide you with full instructions on how to cancel the registration.
11. Your rights under the current regulations by which World Aquatics is bound
- The right to be informed about World Aquatics collection and use of your personal data;
- The right of access to the personal data that World Aquatics holds about you;
- The right to rectification if any personal data World Aquatics holds about you are inaccurate or incomplete;
- The right to be forgotten. The right to ask World Aquatics to delete any personal data World Aquatics holds about you. World Aquatics only holds your personal data for a limited time, but if you would like World Aquatics to delete it sooner, please contact World Aquatics at the email address below;
- The right to restrict the processing of your personal data;
- The right to data portability. Obtaining a copy of your personal data to re-use it with another service or organisation;
- The right to object to World Aquatics using your information for particular purposes;
- Rights with respect to automated decision-making and profiling This enables you to ask World Aquatics to suspend the processing of your data, for example, if you want World Aquatics to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
12. Final provisions
If World Aquatics is unable to help, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (“FDPIC”) or the competent Information Commissioner in the EEA (where applicable). Please note that in certain circumstances World Aquatics may withhold access to your information where World Aquatics have the right to do so under current data protection legislation.
Withdrawal of Consent
In the event consent was given, you have the right to withdraw such consent given at any time by sending a written notice to email@example.com
World Aquatics is committed to ensuring the best possible level of security for your personal data and will take adequate technical and organizational measures to protect your data against the risks of damage, destruction, loss or unauthorized access. All personal data provided by you will be held strictly confidential.
World Aquatics will not engage in spamming and will not authorize the use of your personal data for commercial or advertising purposes by third parties, except with your express consent. Where World Aquatics believes that certain information about World Aquatics’ activities is of importance to you, World Aquatics informs you by email whilst giving you the choice of opting out of such Services.
To Download the full policy, click below.